To the friends and family of Heath Ledger. My heart is broken over this tragedy. A daughter is without a father, a father without a son and of course a life gone to soon. With all that being said, the thing that breaks my heart the most is the way some Christians have responded to this sorrowful situation. When I got on the Internet this morning there was uproar about a Baptist Church, planning to protest at Heath’s memorial service. They say that they are protesting Heath’s role as a homosexual cowboy in the movie “Brokeback Mountain” and it’s promotion that the word of God is a lie. This is not about homosexuality or someone playing a homosexual, but about how sorry I am that this particular church has decided to protest at the most inappropriate place I can imagine.
I am sorry that the world has yet another reason to hate Christians.
I am a follower of Christ. My faith is everything to me. However, not all Christians are like the ones mentioned above. I feel sorry for people who feel that creating negative energy surrounding a tragedy is the best way to preach and show Christ’s love. I pray that even though it’s not the best idea, they are only doing what they feel like defends the word of God. I agree that the Word needs to be defended, but there is way that is not so harmful and without hate. One would think that preaching love with hate would not be a very effective message. Our history has taught us this.
Not one of us knew Mr. Ledger, much less the beliefs of him or his family. Tragedies happen everyday, but most happen without the whole world watching. Families are able to morn on their own and services can be conducted in a private manner. Unfortunately, because of the outstanding talent of this young man, a family has to do all their morning to the sound of clicking camera’s and the background of a hundred flashing bulbs. Most people could not handle what this strong family has to endure.
As a Christian, I feel like the only role I have in this situation is to be in prayer for the strength of this family and for that little girl. This is a time where the Christian Community can come forth and serve this family with love. Where Christian’s with influence can put into practice the Word of God, instead of just talking about it or picking up a protest sign. In fact, serving people who are not like you is the absolute hardest thing to do and is exactly what Christ commands us to do. Anyone can arouse hate but not everyone can love those who are different from you… if they even are.
Unfortunately Christians are their own worst advertisers. The body is made up of imperfect people, surrounded by mistakes. I know that I personally have not always been the best representative of Christianity and will fully admit that at times, hypocrite is the nicest word to describe me. As a body, we are learning how to be more effective in our world while learning from past mistakes. I guess some people take longer than others.
If the goal of this protest is to lead people to Christ, then I would like to ask the question… has anyone come to Christ through fear or picket signs? Maybe I am wrong, but I would be willing to bet that those people are few and far between, if any at all. The only thing protesting at a memorial service will accomplish is for people to roll their eyes while thinking, those Christians are at it again. Stupid Christians. I know because I am one of them.
So to the family and friends of Mr. Heath Ledger, I am sorry about what is happening. I just wanted you to know that not every Christian will pick up a protest sign for the sake of publicity. There are Christians out there that are uplifting you in prayers.
I know that some people may not agree with me. I did not go to seminary, I am not a preacher, I am just a 28 year old wife, mother, sinner and Christ Follower, what do I know?
No comments:
Post a Comment