Do you remember the song "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone"? I have been singing it a lot lately -- except I have replaced Cowboys with Christians.
Have you ever been in a situation where you need people the most -- friends, family, other church members -- and whenever you look for them, they are gone? They are there on Sunday mornings with a smile, asking how things are going, but not really listening to what you are saying. They are there during the good times. Sure, they are there when they need something or someone to talk to. But where are they when you are truly in need? No phone rings, there are no supportive drop-bys -- not even a supportive My Space comment. Nothing. I am almost 100% sure that most people have experienced the phenomenon of the disappearing Christian. And I am also 100% sure that everyone has been part of the phenomenon. I, for one, have been on both ends.
Where Have All the Christians Gone?
It's funny: In my experience, as with a ton of other people, it took a lot of pushing for God to finally reach me. Throughout my life, I have encountered too many people that claim to be Christians with absolutely no fruit in their lives. Yet they can whip out a Bible verse on demand or repeat the message that was given on Sunday. Or even worse, they may be the person who gives the message! Hypocrites.
We have all met these Christians, and we have all been one of them. Most importantly, we will continue in this disease until we become sinless with Christ. However, it surprises me that the people with the most consistency, with the most support during the rough times, are those that do not even know Christ's love. When you need support, when you need that phone to ring, or you need that encouraging comment, food, money -- whatever the need -- there they are. You get cards sending you "positive thoughts" from someone you have never met, someone that lives all the way across the world.
But the person you considered a sister/brother in Christ, who lives down the street? Nothing. Not even a little message saying, "praying.” Church members run and hide. Pastors give you sympathy and then forget about you. The worst abandonment, however, are the “Christian” family members that can give you a lecture about what is appropriate to wear in church or what type of music is truly Christian, but will not even give you a call during the most difficult time of your life.
So while the "worldly people" are serving, the Christian people are preaching about serving, or not even thinking about anyone but themselves.
Funny how that works.
I have been 100% guilty of being a disappearing Christian. Friends have a baby… well I thought about bringing some food. Or even worse, I give a half-hearted "How are you? I have been praying for you.” Yeah, right -- honestly, I haven't really given any thought about your situation because I am too focused on all the mess going on in my life.
Christ’s love equals perfection. It is a love not based on what you do or what you have done. It is forgiving, everlasting, serving, and selfless. A love that is so hard to comprehend, much less duplicate.
But that's what we are called to do: love people with way Christ loves us. Why is it hard for us to get? Why is it easy for many who do not know Christ to see the way people need support and encouragement during the midnight hours, putting aside their own comfort, conflicts or misunderstandings to stand beside that person in love, even if they have no idea that they are representing the love a our savior. Christ died so that we may live. Christ showed us what love is and how to show it, beyond any measure that we will ever have to. So…
Christians Come Out, Come Out Wherever You Are!
1 comment:
I think this is great Holly. Actually, I think they are all great! I too have been the disappearing Christian at times and I am sorry for that. I know we had talked about this before, but reading it definitely made it hit home. We are all so caught up in our own lives that we tend to forget everyone else's problems. I will do better :)
Lauren
Post a Comment